Ph.D. University of Toronto
Develop biosensors to detect pathway intermediates and products
Metabolic intermediates, often accumulated during fuel molecule production in engineered microbes are usually toxic to their host cells. Monitoring the cellular concentration and fluctuation of intermediates provides valuable feedback information for metabolic engineering. Farnesyl pyrophosphate (FPP), an important but toxic intermediate in isoprenoid biosynthetic pathway is my current target. Beside pathway intermediates, I am also interested in developing biosensors for fuel molecules. Such biosensors give the opportunity to a large scale screening for the best production strains.
- Zhang, F., Keasling, J.D. Biosensors and their applications in microbial metabolic engineering. Trends Microbiol. 19, (7), 323-9 (2011)
- Zhang, F., Rodriguez, S., Keasling, J.D. Metabolic engineering of microbial pathways for advanced biofuels production. Epub ahead of print. (2011)
- Zhang, F., Timm, K.A., Arndt, K.M., Woolley, G.A., Photocontrol of coiled-coil proteins in living cells. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 49, (23), 3943-3946 (2010).
Highlighted in Science Daily (May. 3, 2010).
- Jackson, S.G.,Zhang, F. Chindemi, P., Junop, M.S., Berti, P.J., Evidence of kinetic control of ligand binding and staged product release in MurA (enolpyruvyl UDP-GlcNAc synthase)-catalyzed reactions. Biochemistry. 48, (49), 11715-11723 (2009).
- Zhang, F., Zarrine-Afsar, A., Al-Abdul-Wahid, S., Prosser, R.S., Davidson, A.R., Woolley, G.A., A structure-based approach to the photo-control of protein folding. J Am Chem Soc., 131, (6), 2283-2289 (2009).
Highlighted in ACS Chem. Biol., 4, (3), 149-150, (2009).
- Sadovski, O., Beharry, A.A., Zhang, F., Woolley, G.A., Spectral tuning of azobenzene photo-switches for biological applications. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 48, (8), 1484-1486 (2009).
- Zhang, F., Sadovski, O., Woolley, G.A., Synthesis and Characterization of a Long, Rigid Photoswitchable Cross-Linker for Promoting Peptide and Protein Conformational Change. ChemBioChem, 27, 9(13), 2147-2154 (2008).
- Zhang, F., Sadovski, O., Xin, S.J., Woolley, G.A., Stabilization of Folded Peptide and Protein Structures via Distance Matching with a Long, Rigid Cross-linker, J Am Chem Soc., 129, (46), 14154-14155 (2007).
- Burns, D.C.,Zhang, F., Woolley, G.A., Synthesis of 3,3’-bis(sulfonate)-4,4’-bis(chloroacetamido) azobenzene and cysteine cross-linking for photo-control of protein conformation and activity, Nature Protocols, 2, 251-258 (2007).
- Woolley, G.A., Lee, E., Zhang, F., sGal: a computational method for finding surface exposed sites in proteins suitable for Cys-mediated cross-linking, Bioinformatics, 24, 3101-3102 (2006).
- Zhang, F., and Berti, P. J., Phosphate Analogues as Probes of the Catalytic Mechanisms of MurA and AroA, The Carboxyvinyl Transferases, Biochemistry, 45, 6027-6037 (2006).