Ph.D. in Biochemistry, The University of Tokyo, 2009
M.S. in Biochemistry, Nagoya Institute of Technology, 2005
B.S. in Chemistry, Nagoya Institute of Technology, 2003
5885 Hollis St., 4th Floor, Emeryville, CA 94608
My research has focused on understanding mechanistic and structural features of type I modular polyketide synthases and exploiting that knowledge for producing high-value chemicals in Escherichia coli and Streptomyces strains from renewable carbon sources.
- Eng, C.H., Yuzawa, S., Wang, G., Baidoo, E.E., Katz, L., and Keasling J.D. Alteration of polyketide stereochemistry from anti to syn by a ketoreductase domain exchange in a type I modular polyketide synthase subunit. Biochemistry. 55, 1677-1680 (2016).
- Yuzawa, S., Katz, L., and Keasling J.D. Producing 3-hydroxycarboxylic acid and ketone using polyketide synthase. US Patent Application 20150307855 (2015)
- Hagen A., Poust S., de Rond T., Yuzawa, S., Katz, L., Adams P.D., Petzold C.J., and Keasling J.D. In vitro analysis of carboxyacyl substrate tolerance in the loading and first extension modules of borrelidin PKS, Biochemistry, 53, 5975-5977 (2014).
- Yuzawa, S., Eng, C.H., Katz, L., and Keasling J.D. Enzyme analysis of the polyketide synthase leads to the discovery of a novel analogue of a-lipomycin, J Antibiotic, 67, 199-201 (2014).
- Yuzawa, S., Eng, C.H., Katz, L., and Keasling J.D. Broad substrate specificity of the loading didomain of the lipomycin polyketide synthase, Biochemistry. 52, 3791-3793 (2013).
- Yuzawa, S., Chiba, N., Katz, L., and Keasling J.D. Cloning a 3-hydroxypropinate cycle for heterologous polyketide biosynthesis in Escherichia coli., Biochemistry, 51, 9779-9781 (2012).
- Yuzawa, S., Kim, W., Katz, L., and Keasling J.D. Heterologous production of polyketides by modular type I polyketide synthases in Escherichia coli. Curr Opin Biotechnol, 23, 727-735 (2012).
- Yuzawa, S., Kapur, S., Cane, D.E., and Khosla, C. Role of a conserved arginine residue in linkers between the ketosynthase and acyltransferase domains of multimodular polyketide synthases. Biochemistry, 51, 3708-3710 (2012).
- Kapur, S., Lowry, B., Yuzawa, S., Kenthirapalan, S., Chen, A.Y., Cane, D.E., and Khosla, C. Reprogramming a module of the 6-deoxyerythronolide B synthase for iterative chain elongation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A, 109, 4110-4115 (2012).
- Kang, T.J.†, Yuzawa, S.†, and Suga, H. Expression of histone H3 tails with combinatorial lysine modifications under the reprogrammed genetic code for the investigation on epigenetic markers. Chem Biol, 15, 1166-1174 (2008). †These authors contributed equally to this work.
- Yuzawa, S., Mizuno, T., and Tanaka, T. Activating an enzyme by an engineered coiled coil switch. Chemistry., 12, 7345-52 (2006).
- Outstanding Invention Award (Joint BioEnergy Institute, Emeryville, USA, 2014)
- The Naito Foundation Post-Doctoral Fellowship for Study Abroad (2009)
- Excellent Stone Award (45th Japanese Peptide Symposium, Tokyo, Japan, 2008)
- aaRS2008 ANACOR Poster Presentation Award (aaRS2008; International Conference on Aminoacyl-tRNA synthetase: From Basic Mechanisms to Systems Biology, Annecy, France, 2008)
- CSJ Student Presentation Award 2008 (88th the Chemical Society of Japan, Tokyo, Japan, 2008)