Ph.D. Biochemical Engineering, University College London, London UK.
MSc. Petroleum Biotechnology, Mexican Institute of Petroleum, Mexico City.
BEng. Chemical Engineering, National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), Mexico City.
My current research focuses in producing anti-cancer drug taxol S. cerevisiae. In specific I have been using the latest synthetic biology tools combined with CRISPR/Cas9 technology in order to perform the heterologous expression of taxol pathway in yeast in order to achieve higher production yields. The syntehtic pathway has been created in such a way that by selecting specific integration locuses, and well characterised pairs of promoters and terminators, we could predict the enzyme expression and simulate and optimise the whole metabolic pathway, demonstrating modularity and predictability of the different synthetic biology parts. By using the tools of proteomics and metabolomics, we have been able to detect the bottlenecks, as well as demonstrate the modularity of the different synthetic biology components.
- Baganz, S. Matosevic, L. Rios, G. Lye, A. Jadhav, N. Szita. 2009. Towards engineering of de novo pathways for the synthesis of chiral chemicals using in vitro and in vivo approaches. New Biotechnol. 25: 159-160.
- Cázares, J. L. Galman, L. G. Crago, M. E. B. Smith, J. Strafford, L. Rios-Solis, G. J. Lye, P. A. Dalby and H. C. Hailes. 2010. Non-alpha-hydroxylated aldehydes with evolved transketolase enzymes. Org. Biomol. Chem. 8: 1301–1309.
- L. Rios-Solis, M. Halim, A. Cázares, P. Morris, J. M. Ward, H.C. Hailes, P.A. Dalby, F. Baganz and G.J. Lye. 2011. A toolbox approach for the rapid evaluation of multi-step enzymatic syntheses comprising a ‘mix and match’ E. coli expression system with microscale experimentation. Biocat. Biotrans. 29: 192-203.
- L. Rios-Solis, N. Bayir, M. Halim., J. Hao, F. Baganz., G.J. Lye. 2013. Non-linear kinetic modelling of reversible bioconversions: application to the transaminase catalysed synthesis of chiral amino-alcohols. Biochem. Eng. J. 73:38-48.
- M. Halim, L. Rios-Solis. M. Micheletti, J. M. Ward and G.J. Lye. 2014. Microscale methods to rapidly evaluate bioprocess options for increasing bioconversion yields: application to the ω-transaminase synthesis of chiral amines. Bioprocess Biosyst. Eng. 37:931-41.
- C.J. Du, L. Rios-Solis, J.M. Ward, P. A. Dalby , G. J. Lye. 2014. Evaluation of the CV2025 ω-transaminase for the bioconversion of lignin breakdown products into value-added chemicals. Biocat. Biotrans. 32:302-313.
- L. Rios-Solis, P. Morris, A. Odeleye, C. Grant, J.M. Ward, P.A. Dalby, F. Baganz and G.J. Lye. 2015. Modelling and optimization of the one-pot synthesis of chiral amino-alcohols based on microscale kinetic parameter determination. Chem. Eng Sci. 122: 360–372.
- L. Rios-Solis, B. Mothia, S. Yi, Z.Yuhong, M. Micheletti and G. J. Lye. 2015. High throughout monoamine oxidase (MAO-N) screening and kinetic model generation. J. Mol. Cat. B. Enz.120-100-110.
- P. Morris, L. Rios-Solis, R. García-Arrazola, G. J. Lye and P. A. Dalby. 2016. Impact of cofactor-binding loop mutations on thermotolerance and activity of E. coli transketolase . Enz Microb Tech. 89:85-91.
- K. Markošová, I. Dolejš, R. Stloukal, L. Rios-Solis, M. Rosenberg, M. Micheletti, G. J. Lye, N. J Turner, M. Rebroš. 2016. Immobilisation and kinetics of monoamine oxidase (MAO-N-D5) enzyme in polyvinyl alcohol gels. J. Mol. Cat. B. Enz. 129: 69-74
- L. Rios-Solis, B. Mothia, P. Morris, P. Zajkoska, W. Tianyi Z, Yuhong, M. Rebros, M. Micheletti, G. J. Lye. Optimization and scale-up of mono amine oxidase biocatalyst production based on microscale process data. J. Chem. Tech. Biotech. In press
- P. Morris P., H. Al-bharani , D. Chuanjie, L. Rios-Solis. Using starch as carbon source to promote biofiltration and in situ protein production feed for aquaculture systems. Aquacult. Eng. In Press.
- L. Rios-Solis , P. Morris, H. Al-Bahrani, C. Du. Immobilized biospheres filtration system using unidirectional flow. U.K. Patent Application GB1602673.4, filed 16 February 2016. Patent Pending.
- L. Rios-Solis, Al-Bahrani, P. Morris, C. Du, V. M. Hernández Maldon. L. Rios Guerrero. Shrimp biofloc system using starch as carbon source. Mexican Patent Application MX/a/2016003003 filed 25 February 2016. Patent Pending.
- Award UC Mexus Postdoctoral fellowship (2015)
- Award best Entrepreneur Agent, UCL Entrepreneur Society, London, UK (2011)
- Award of Institute of Education Scholarship for inspiring Teachers, London, UK (2009)
- Award from Mexican Council scholarship for best research project, PhD at UCL, UK (2008)
- Award of CONACYT scholarship, PhD at UCL, UK (2007)
Award of CONACYT scholarship, Msc, IMP, Mexico (2005)
- Award of IMP scholarship for academic excellence, Msc, IMP, Mexico (2005)